Lake is considering serving breakfast in May in advisory classes as part of a pilot program. If this works out in May, Lake could potentially serve breakfast in advisory classes next school year.
According to Hunger Free Colorado, studies show that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially for children. Eating school breakfast improves children’s educational performance, behavior, and health.
SCHOOL BREAKFAST IMPROVES CHILDREN’S EDUCATIONAL PERFORMANCE:
• Children who eat a complete breakfast make fewer mistakes and work faster on math tests than children who eat a partial breakfast.
• Children who eat breakfast at school, closer to class and test-taking time, perform better on standardized tests than those who skip breakfast or eat breakfast at home.
• Children who eat breakfast show improved cognitive function, attention, and memory.
• Participating in school breakfast is associated with improved math grades, attendance, and punctuality.
SCHOOL BREAKFAST IMPROVES CHILDREN’S ATTENDANCE AND BEHAVIOR:• Schools that provide breakfast in the classroom to all students show decreases in tardiness and suspensions as well as improved student behavior and attentiveness.
• Providing students with breakfast in the classroom is associated with fewer disciplinary measures.
• Children who participate in school breakfast have lower rates of absenteeism.
BREAKFAST IMPROVES CHILDREN’S DIETS AND OVERALL HEALTH:
• Children who eat breakfast tend to have more adequate nutrient intake than children who do not.
• Children and adolescents who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy body weight.
Do you think this is a good idea? Would your student like to have breakfast in advisory class? Do you think this could serve as a motivation to those tardy students to arrive on time? Why or why not? Stop by the main office and insert your thoughts into the suggestion box. Comments/concerns and questions are welcomed. We will discuss this at the parent monthly meeting on Wednesday, April 25th from 4-5:15 p.m. Join us!